Thursday, May 04, 2006

Robert Motherwell 1960

DAVID SYLVESTER How clear an idea do you have before you start to paint of what the painting is going to be like?

ROBERT MOTHERWELL Usually not much. More simply, I begin from an impulse, an intense irrational desire that takes you over, prompting you to start moving. And from experience, with some knowledge of what moves oneself, I think it's not altogether arbitrary what one begins with. I mean, I think that any painter would instinctively begin with forms, colors, spatial areas, kinds of format, that in general have been more sympathetic to him that others have been. But certainly implicit partially is the feeling, not the 'I'm going to paint something that I know' but 'through the act of painting I'm going to find out exactly how I feel, both generally and about whatever is specific'.

From "Interviews with American Artists" by David Sylvester

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home